This tutorial will guide you through the whole process to unlock Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro bootloader.
Most of you out there who ever wished to root your Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro might have came across this term, bootloader unlocking. But do you know what is bootloader unlocking and how to make it possible on your Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro android Smartphone.
What is bootloader unlocking?
Bootloader lock is an extra layer of security on your Google Pixel Smartphone which will restrict the end user to alter it’s firmware and install a custom ROM or root. So by unlocking the bootloader we are disabling that extra layer of security for good.
Steps to unlock Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro Bootloader?
1. First you need to go to the “Settings” menu on your Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro and enable the “Developer options“. To enable developer options you need to navigate to Settings->About phone and tap on “Build number” 7 times. Now navigate to Settings->System and you will see a new menu entry called “Developer options“.
2. Now tap on “Developer options” to open it and enable the “OEM unlocking” by taping on it. Also make sure that “USB debugging” is enabled in the “Developer options” menu.
3. Once done restart your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro and enter into the fastboot mode. To enter into the fastboot mode press and hold “Vol down” button when the phone restarts.
4. Now download and keep the ADB and fastboot tools and connect your phone using a USB data cable to your PC. You may use the below download links to download the tools;
- ADB and Fastboot tools for Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro
- USB drivers for Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro 32 Bit | 64 Bit
Once downloaded please install them both.
5. Further please go to the folder where Fastboot tools are installed and open a Powershell or elevated command prompt from there. Here type “fastboot devices” and press the enter key to confirm a successful connection of your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro to your PC. If your device is listed there you are good to go.
6. Now type in “fastboot flashing unlock” on Powershell/Command prompt window. Once done you will get an “OKAY” message from your Powershell/Command prompt window.
Now go back to your Google Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro and you will see a similar screen as show above. Here use “Vol Up” & “Vol Down” keys to change options from “Do not unclock bootloader” to “Unlock the bootloader“. Once you get the before said option press the “Power” button to unlock the bootloader on your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro. You may refer the above image for visual explanation.
7. When finished you will get an option “Start“, now press power button to boot up your Pixel 6 or Pixel 6 Pro. When booted up your phone will be factory reset and all your phone data will be erased.
That’s it friends, you have successfully unlocked bootloader on your Google Pixel 6 Or Pixel 6 Pro. To confirm you may go to “Developer options” and check whether the “OEM unlocking” is greyed out.
- Google Pixel 6: GLUOG, G8VOU
- Pixel 6 Pro: GB7N6, G9S9B16
If “How To Unlock Google Pixel 6 Or Pixel 6 Pro Bootloader?” tutorial really helped you, please give a like/share on social networking websites by using the below given buttons.